Saturday, July 18, 2009

From FEMINA to THE JAKARTA POST and end up in Jakarta Fair

Technically, I am supposed to still be able to stay in my home enjoying afternoon biking around the beach or doing some talking with my parents in this SHORT holiday (it’s just if I can say it’s a holiday) before I spend my next 40 days of it in Subang for my KKN program (last program as one of the subjects in this VERY LONG semester).

Instead, I have to make another at-least-a-thousand-word essay for my trip to Jakarta two days ago, which obviously was not a holiday. But that’s fine, I mean, the trip was fine (even it’s magnificent), and the essay? That’s the thing that’s not fine hahahahaha…

But here, with you, I’d like to share my trip with pleasure.
It was a program from English Department in my university to have a visit to The Jakarta Post and Femina in order to introduce their students to the workplace where they might belong in the future or in the recent time; where they might belong for their apprenticeship program for the next two following semester.

And they chose about 30 out of roughly 80 students of my attending year. Well, I see this as an opportunity to explore my next world might be after leaving university NEXT year (hahaha I wish I could and I would and whatever). Spare you the details!

So, in Femina it’s just fine, we were having a presentation from all those fabulous ladies, and one of them is the chief editor. They talked a lot about their magazines, about a bit of the world of journalism, about how a media like that can survive in all competition, including the obstacle of the higher penetration of TV and Internet to people that might threaten their existence.

Well, that’s undeniably true, but one thing that might become debatable is that they talked about the lack of our people’s reading interest. See what people from The Jakarta Post will talk about it.

To be honest, I was impressed by them. They are smart, independent and beautiful, and funny I should tell. And for you to know there is only ONE single man working in that magazine. See!?

While in The Jakarta Post, we talked also about the newspaper, about its development and the more interesting talking is about the apprenticeship that they will provide (what an opportunity) and about some stuffs of writing. And one thing I know from both of them is that they share the same concern about the existence of TV and Internet that may become their competitor nowadays.



While considering the notion about people’s reading interest; chief editor of the Jakarta Post apparently had a different view. They can’t blame people (technically reader) for problem of having their newspaper or magazines to be read, that is a problem about either you make it interesting or not to them (target readers), since he saw that people’s reading interest is not that terrible based on his observation in certain book fair which is always visited by the crowd as an indicator to that.


Well, for me, it is US who can answer that best. I mean ask ourselves, do you prefer spending an hour reading a 500-page novel and gradually finishing it to staring hours in front of sophisticated home theatre your parents have? I’m not telling that one is worse comparing to another; but we are grown up enough to be able to well manage our time to be more fruitful.


And! one thing I’d like to talk about is that since I am really concerned about this (my) blog and you, my readers, I asked the chief about how a writing can be told interesting and my blog can be read by a lot more people (indirectly), but seriously, it doesn’t mean that I don’t appreciate you who already read it, obviously for you, my faithful reader I really appreciate that, and for you who reluctantly read, I appreciate if you read constantly also hehehehe (kidding). I thank you all for reading it. Well, to tell you the truth, from my questions I got quite answers that might deserve giving a try, just see how well I can reflect the lesson I got back there.





Time to shop (practically they spoke that, not me)! We went to Jakarta Fair, which I didn’t think really a worthy visit. Seriously, I supposed it will be sold things like traditional handicraft from all over regions from our country, or at least I could see a single ondel-ondel as the mascot of Jakarta around! But instead, I saw a lot of stands selling foods, drinks, helmets, cloths, and stuffs. Yet, thanks for, in the middle of the chaotic crowded bazaar, there’s kerak telor (particular food from Betawi made of rice and egg) which I desperately want to taste, and it tasted not bad, just skip Jakarta Fair!



Okay, alright! I’m about to end the talking, I know you’re bored to death reading my blah, blah, blah … so I promise this is the last; I’d like to say thank you for the chief of English Study Program to conduct (read include me in) such this program. My 8-hour trip from Pangandaran to Bandung apparently is not a dud; in fact it’s an inspiringly enlightening activity you’d ever done and I’d ever had…


Looking forward to another one!!!

0 komentar:

Post a Comment