Saturday, August 24, 2013

Sony Would Be My First



Ok, I love traveling, let’s stop bragging about it. It’s all over it. So I thought that in order to capture the moments I need a proper camera, by proper I mean an interchangeable lens camera with huge pixels and more ISO (common people paradigm). The last time I used the kind was when I went to Karimunjawa and it was my friend’s. It was a shame though, I could not maximize the function. To my least understanding of photography, I thought I took some great pictures. Here the photos I took with Canon EOS 550D with 18-55mm kit lens.

Pantai Pulau Cemara Kecil

At the small boat, heading to Karimunjawa island, the mainland 


I love taking picture and traveling. I’ve been wanting to buy a camera since a long time ago to preserve the moments. I said the hell, this is it, and I have to buy it now. And so they say, the first camera you buy is very crucial because in the future you will be needing more lens, more accessories that are to be compatible with one you already have. So it is more likely that you will have to stick with the first. Given the thought, to avoid future regret, I asked some of my friends for reference who then told me to just buy a Canon. 

I’ve done my homework. I came to a dozen camera shops just to ask reference pretending that I would directly buy from their shops. I researched and read almost all the reviews that popped up on google. Their answers vary from favoring the mainstream brands like Canon and Nikon to the underdog, new comer Sony. This did not lead me to any further confusion though. If anything, it convinced me to stick with the underdog that I was in love since the first time I laid my eyes on her at one of the shops I came across.

Sony A37 SLT


After some debates (mostly with my own persisting fear of regret), research and friend-asking process, I decided to buy a Sony camera type Alpha A37 SLT (Single Lens Translucent) with 18-135mm kit lens with aperture range f/3.5 – f/5.6. The debate involved the popularity amongst the brands that I considered (Sony, Canon and Nikon), the wide availability of various lenses, the features and performance, the image quality that they produce, the complexities of the camera, the endurance and maintenance and of course my instinct.
Well, since I was still very green in the area and not really in the capacity neither to break down the detail of review here, nor to thoroughly compare this camera to another. I’m just going to highlight some reasons of why I am happy with this little Sony A37 so far. 

Let’s see here what all those things might be. It is obvious that the size is quite small. It comfortably fits my grip and it is quite light as well. The camera has wide viewfinder that makes you comfortable to peek out through it and shoot.  The speed of the focus when taking picture is also amazing. This has something to do with the technology that is talked a lot from a Sony camera alpha series, which is its translucent mirror technology that allows the mirror inside the camera not to move so enables you to take pictures with shooting-speed up to 7 fps. The technology enables the camera to shoot and focus simultaneously. And the picture is great, the color is vivid. The Sony A37 is also talked to be able to record great full HD video. And I was shown this one and it was great. The camera is very responsive.  

Here are some of the pictures I took with my Sony A37. 

Spider at Gelanggang Kolamrenang UPI


Sunset around Gelanggang Kolamrenang UPI

JICA, UPI

I didn't do much editing to those two images. I just change the sizes to that it would not be too hard to upload.

So what do you think of the images? The underdog is not that bad after all, is it?



Fajar.

2 komentar:

surya said...

kang fajar,
your picture more information if you can put exif data (Aperture, Speed,etc) for first shutter...its good picture, and i am sure you can take good picture at the moment using your knowledge about 1/3 of frame, composition and other

salam
dedy

Herdiawan Fajar said...

Yes Pak Dedi. I did not quite understand back (I dont now, hahaha) but anyway, I think it'll be better to insert the information.. I wish I can learn more and shoot more exquisite photos!! Thank you for your suggestion!

Post a Comment